Generic Name and Formulations:
Aliskiren 150mg, 300mg; tabs.
Noden Pharma USA Inc.
Indications for TEKTURNA:
≥18yrs: initially 150mg once daily, may increase to 300mg once daily if BP not adequately controlled. May be given with other antihypertensives (see full labeling).
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant ARBs or ACEIs in diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before starting therapy or start under close supervision. Discontinue if angioedema or laryngeal edema occurs (have SC epinephrine available). Moderate renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min): avoid concomitant ARBs or ACEIs. Monitor BP, electrolytes, and renal function periodically. Consider withholding or discontinuing if significant renal dysfunction develops. Renal artery stenosis. Severe HF. Post-MI. Diabetes. Neonates. Pregnancy: avoid. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant cyclosporine, itraconazole. Caution with NSAIDs, K+ supplements, K+ sparing diuretics, K+ containing salt substitutes; may cause hyperkalemia. May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs (including COX-2 inhibitors): monitor renal function in elderly and/or volume-depleted. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs or ACEIs may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes. Concomitant furosemide; monitor. Decreased absorption with high fat meals.
Direct renin inhibitor.
Diarrhea, hypotension, cough, rash, edema, elevated uric acid, gout, renal stones; rare: angioedema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders