Generic Name and Formulations:
Dimethyl fumarate 120mg, 240mg; del-rel caps.
Indications for TECFIDERA:
Treatment of patients with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.
Swallow whole. Initially 120mg twice daily for 7 days, then increase to maintenance dose of 240mg twice daily. If maintenance dose not tolerated, temporarily reduce back to initial dose. Within 4 weeks, resume maintenance dose; if not tolerated, consider discontinuing.
Obtain a CBC including lymphocyte count prior to initiation, after 6 months, and every 6 to 12 months thereafter; consider interruption if lymphocyte counts < 0.5 X 109/L persist for >6 months. Serious infection; consider withholding until resolved. Pre-existing low lymphocyte counts (not studied). Monitor serum aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase, and total bilirubin prior to initiation and during treatment; discontinue if significant liver injury is suspected. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis or angioedema occurs. Withhold and evaluate at first sign/symptom suggestive of PML. Administration with non-enteric coated aspirin 325mg or food may reduce incidence of flushing. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Flushing, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, pruritus, rash; lymphopenia, liver injury.
Enroll pregnant patients exposed to Tecfidera by calling (866) 810-1462.
Starter Pack (30-day)—1 (120mg × 14 + 240mg × 46); Del-rel caps 120mg—14; 240mg—60
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad