Generic Name and Formulations:
Fostamatinib disodium hexahydrate 100mg, 150mg; tabs.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc.
RECENT UPDATESMonograph added.
Indications for TAVALISSE:
Thrombocytopenia in adults with chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) who have had insufficient response to previous treatment.
≥18yrs: Initially 100mg twice daily. Increase to 150mg twice daily if platelet count not at ≥50x109/L after 4 weeks. Discontinue if insufficient increase in platelet count after 12 weeks. Dose modifications: see full labeling.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Monitor CBCs, including platelets, monthly until stable count (≥50 x 109/L) achieved, then periodically thereafter. Monitor LFTs monthly. Discontinue if AST/ALT >5XULN for ≥2wks or ≥3XULN and total bilirubin >2XULN. Monitor blood pressure every 2 weeks until stable dose established, then monthly thereafter. Interrupt or discontinue dose if hypertensive crisis (>180/120mmHg) occurs; discontinue if repeat BP >160/100mmHg for >4 weeks. Temporarily interrupt if severe diarrhea (Grade ≥3) occurs; resume at next lower daily dose if improved to Grade 1. Monitor ANC monthly and for infection. Temporarily interrupt if ANC <1 x 109/L occurs and remains low after 72hrs until resolved; resume at next lower daily dose. Use lowest effective dose. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Use effective contraception during and for ≥1 month after last dose. Pregnancy; confirm negative status prior to initiation. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for ≥1 month after last dose).
Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers: not recommended. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors or substrates; monitor for toxicity. May potentiate concomitant BCRP (eg, rosuvastatin) or P-gp (eg, digoxin) substrates: monitor for toxicity.
Tyrosine kinase inhibitor.
Diarrhea, hypertension, nausea, respiratory infection, dizziness, ALT/AST increase, rash, abdominal pain, fatigue, chest pain, neutropenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Belief That Abortion Harms Women's Mental Health Appears Misinformed
- Models Derived From Electronic Health Records Effective in Predicting Suicide Risk
- Probiotics Effective in Reducing Rehospitalization for Patients With Mania
- Caffeine Sodium Benzoate Effective as Electroconvulsive Therapy Augmentation
- Personality Disorders Related to Adverse Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- Court-Mandated Substance Abuse Treatment: Exploring the Ethics and Efficacy
- ADHD Treatments
- Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry: Promising Developments and Potential Pitfalls
- Esketamine Nasal Spray: A New Treatment Possibility for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Schizophrenia, Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder Linked With Abnormal Functional Connectivity
- ICF Core Sets for Schizophrenia Validated by International Cohort of Psychiatrists
- Transference in the Age of #MeToo: What Counts as Harassment From a Patient?
- Comorbid OCD Confers Greater Neurocognitive Impairment in Schizophrenia
- Smartphone Technology Allows Diagnosis of Autism in ResearchKit Feasibility Study