Generic Name and Formulations:
Methimazole 5mg, 10mg; scored tabs.
Indications for TAPAZOLE:
Initially 15–60mg daily in 3 divided doses, depending on severity of disease. Maintenance: 5–15mg daily.
Initially 0.4mg/kg daily in 3 divided doses. Maintenance: ½ initial dose.
Discontinue if agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, exfoliate dermatitis, hepatitis, or elevated liver transaminases (3xULN) occurs. Monitor prothrombin time, WBC, bone marrow function. Pregnancy (Cat.D).
Rash, GI disturbances, arthralgia, paresthesia, hair and taste loss, agranulocytosis, blood dyscrasias, aplastic anemia, hepatic dysfunction, drug fever, lupus-like syndrome, insulin autoimmune syndrome, periarteritis; nephritis (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation