Generic Name and Formulations:
Albiglutide [recombinant fusion protein] 30mg, 50mg; per pen; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for TANZEUM:
Adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not recommended as first-line treatment for patients inadequately controlled on diet and exercise. Not studied in combination with prandial insulin or with history of pancreatitis. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not a substitute for insulin. Not recommended in patients with pre-existing severe GI disease.
Give by SC inj in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm on the same day each week without regard to meals. Rotate inj sites (esp. when concomitant insulin). Initiate at 30mg once weekly; may increase to 50mg once weekly if inadequate response. Renal impairment and/or in those with severe GI symptoms: caution with initiating or escalating doses.
<18yrs: not established.
History (personal or family) of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC). Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).
Risk of thyroid C-cell tumors, including MTC; inform patients of risks and symptoms. Monitor for pancreatitis; discontinue if suspected; do not restart if confirmed. History of pancreatitis; consider other antidiabetic therapies. Renal impairment and/or in those with severe GI symptoms: risk of dehydration; avoid fluid depletion. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with concomitant sulfonylureas or insulin; consider reducing their doses. May affect absorption of other oral drugs (delayed gastric emptying).
Upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, nausea, inj site reaction; acute pancreatitis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs), acute kidney injury.
Single-dose pen—4 (w. needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad