Generic Name and Formulations:
Flecainide acetate 50mg, 100mg+, 150mg+; tabs; +scored.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for TAMBOCOR:
Documented, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias. Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias (PSVT), paroxysmal atrial fibrillation/flutter (PAF) in patients without structural heart disease.
Sustained ventricular tachycardia: Initiate in hospital; initially 100mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 400mg/day. PSVT or PAF: 50mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 300mg daily. CrCl ≤35mL/min per 1.73m2: Initially 100mg once daily or 50mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or right bundle branch block associated with left hemiblock, unless paced. Cardiogenic shock. Recent MI.
Mortality. Ventricular pro-arrhythmic effects in patients with atrial fibrillation/flutter.
Verify benefits outweigh risks; see full labeling. Increased risk of pro-arrhythmic effects. Chronic atrial fibrillation: not recommended. History of CHF or myocardial dysfunction. Sick sinus syndrome. Pacemaker patients. Correct potassium imbalances before use. Severe renal or hepatic impairment, concomitant amiodarone or reduced myocardial function: monitor plasma level. Discontinue if heart block occurs unless paced. Discontinue if liver dysfunction, blood dyscrasias occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Class IC antiarrhythmic.
Increased digoxin toxicity. May potentiate negative inotropic effects of β-blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine. Antagonized by phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine. Avoid disopyramide, verapamil, nifedipine, diltiazem, other negative inotropics. ½ dose when given with amiodarone.
Dizziness, visual disturbances, dyspnea, headache, fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, asthenia, tremor, edema, GI upset, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart failure, cardiac arrest, conduction defects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD