Generic Name and Formulations:
Cimetidine 300mg, 400mg; tabs.
Prestige Brands, Inc.
Indications for TAGAMET:
Active duodenal or benign gastric ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). GERD.
Active duodenal ulcer: 800mg at bedtime for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 400mg at bedtime. Active benign gastric ulcer: 800mg at bedtime or 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime for 6 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime; max 2.4g/day. GERD: 800mg 2 times daily or 400mg 4 times daily for max 12 weeks; see full labeling. For difficult to heal ulcers: see full labeling.
<16 yrs: not recommended; see full labeling. Doses of 20–40mg/kg per day have been used.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Elderly. Debilitated. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid antacids within 1 hour of dosing. May potentiate anticoagulants, phenytoin, theophylline, lidocaine, and others (see literature) by inhibition of hepatic microsomal enzymes. May alter absorption of drugs affected by gastric pH (e.g., ketoconazole), give 2 hours before cimetidine.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, somnolence, CNS disturbances, gynecomastia, rash (maybe serious eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome); rare: arthralgia, myalgia, blood dyscrasias, nephritis, increased serum transaminases, pancreatitis, bradycardia, tachycardia; increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 300mg—100; 400mg—60
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth