Generic Name and Formulations:
Trientine HCl 250mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for SYPRINE:
Wilsons disease in patients who are intolerant of penicillamine.
Swallow whole. Take on an empty stomach. 750–1250mg/day in 2–4 divided doses; max 2000mg/day. Increase dose if clinical response not adequate or free serum copper is persistently >20mcg/dL. Determine maintenance dose at 6–12 month intervals.
<6yrs: not recommended. Swallow whole. Take on an empty stomach. 6–12yrs: 500–750mg/day in 2–4 divided doses; max 1500mg/day. Increase dose if clinical response not adequate or free serum copper is persistently >20mcg/dL. Determine maintenance dose at 6–12 month intervals.
Not for treatment of biliary cirrhosis. Monitor for iron deficiency anemia (esp. women). Monitor for symptoms of fever or skin eruption; take body temperature nightly during 1st month of treatment. Any site of exposure to capsule contents must be washed with water. Do 24-hour urinary copper analysis periodically (eg, every 6–12 months). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Absorption may be inhibited by mineral supplements; separate dosing of iron by at least 2 hours. Separate dosing of any other drug, food, or milk by at least 1 hour.
Iron deficiency, systemic lupus erythematosus, dystonia, muscular spasm, myasthenia gravis, contact dermatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed