Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium sulfate 17.5g, potassium sulfate 3.13g, magnesium sulfate 1.6g; per 6oz of soln.
Braintree Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for SUPREP:
Bowel cleansing before colonoscopy.
Start the evening before colonoscopy: dilute 1 bottle to 16oz with water and drink entire amount. Drink 32oz of water over the next hour. Next morning: repeat using the second bottle. Complete prep at least 2hrs before colonoscopy.
GI obstruction or perforation. Gastric retention. Toxic colitis. Toxic megacolon. Ileus.
Maintain adequate hydration. Correct electrolyte abnormalities before use. Renal impairment; monitor baseline and post-colonoscopy electrolytes, creatinine, BUN. History of QT prolongation, uncontrolled arrhythmias, recent MI, unstable angina, CHF, or cardiomyopathy: increased risk of arrhythmias; consider ECGs at pre-dose and post-colonoscopy. Gout. Seizure. Inflammatory bowel disease. Severe ulcerative colitis. Impaired gag reflex. Risk of regurgitation or aspiration. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant diuretics, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, NSAIDs; may affect renal function. Drugs that may lower the seizure threshold (eg, tricyclic antidepressants), alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal, known or suspected hyponatremia: may increase risk of seizures. Caution with drugs that may increase risk of electrolyte abnormalities, arrhythmias or QT prolongation. Drugs administered within 1 hour of start of Suprep may not be absorbed.
Overall discomfort, abdominal distention and pain, nausea, vomiting; transient elevated uric acid, mucosal ulcerations and ischemic colitis.
Bowel prep kit—1 (2 x 6oz bottles of soln w. mixing container)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation