Generic Name and Formulations:
Nisoldipine 8.5mg, 17mg*, 34mg; ext-rel tabs; *contains tartrazine.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SULAR:
Swallow whole. Take on an empty stomach (1hr before or 2hrs after a meal). Initially 17mg once daily; may increase by 8.5mg per week or longer intervals. Usual maintenance: 17–34mg once daily; max 34mg/day. Hepatic impairment or elderly (>65yrs): Initially 8.5mg once daily.
Coronary artery disease. Heart failure or compromised ventricular function (esp. with a beta-blocker). Monitor BP closely during initiation and titration. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant CYP3A4 inhibitors or inducers, grapefruit juice. High-fat meals increase peak drug concentrations. Antagonized by phenytoin (avoid; consider alternatives). May be potentiated by cimetidine.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Peripheral edema, headache, dizziness, pharyngitis, vasodilation, sinusitis, palpitations, chest pain, nausea, rash; increased angina, MI (rare), hypotension.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders