These results indicate the need for thorough preoperative psychiatric history assessment in patients considering bariatric surgery, as well as postoperative surveillance.
Suicide in prisons is multifactorial, with contributing factors that include medical and mental health issues as well as those involving family, lack of purposeful activity, and conditions of the specific prison environment, as well as the stress of adjusting to incarceration.
Dermatologic diseases such as acne, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis frequently have psychiatric comorbidities such as depression or suicidal ideation.
There was a drop in PTSD symptoms with hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Mixed state does not increase the risk for suicidal behavior beyond the risk associated with the depressive component.
Suicidal ideation in patients is often missed by psychiatrists who use questions biased toward confirming patients are not suicidal.
Emergency departments may reduce subsequent suicide attempts and risk, according to multiple university studies.
Well-intentioned parents may not realize that it is terrifying for a youngster to be left without any parental direction, even if the child does not act scared.
Self-injury treatment strategies can be challenging because some patients are ambivalent about receiving help.
In a new study, teens and young adults with bipolar disorder who had attempted suicide had slightly less volume and activity in areas of the brain that regulate emotion and impulses.
Clinicians need to be aware of the potential risks when they prescribe antidepressants and other drugs used in the treatment of depression.
Effort must be made to create a more supportive medical education environment.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders