Suicide & Self-Harm
Prior Suicide Attempts Associated With Poorer Clinical, Functional Outcomes in Adolescents, Young AdultsJuly 12, 2018
These data highlight the necessity of more targeted interventions for patients with a history of high-risk behavior, such as self-harm or suicide ideation.
Patients with these cardiovascular diseases would benefit from early psychiatric help.
The researchers believe this study is the first to detect a statistically significant, unexpected inverse association between efavirenz use and depression.
The researchers found significant advantages from dialectical behavior therapy in all primary outcomes.
Suicide prevention needs to be a public health priority.
These models substantially outperform existing tools for suicide prevention, indicating a potential need for modification of currently available interventions.
Suicide rates have increased significantly in the US since 1999.
These results challenge the public perception that suicide rates are uniformly higher among white children compared with black children.
Carbamazepine, in particular, was associated with lower hazards for depression and anxiety in secondary analyses.
From 2008 to 2015 there was an increase in encounters for suicide ideation and suicide attempts among US children.
The percentage of patients seen at children's hospitals for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts more than doubled between 2008 and 2015. The academic school year may play a role.
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among Americans between the ages of 15 and 24 years.
Analyses revealed that the likelihood of suicide attempts during or after second deployment were twice as high in soldiers whose first deployment occurred within their initial 12 months of service.
A number of factors including chronic pain co-occurring with posttraumatic stress disorder and pain interference may predict suicidal ideation and violent impulses in US veterans with chronic pain.
Strong state firearm laws were associated with lower firearm suicide and homicide rates and overall suicide rates regardless of surrounding state laws. States with weak firearm laws only had lower rates of firearm homicide if they were surrounded by states with strong laws.
Mortality rates decreased for alcohol use disorders, self-harm, and interpersonal violence between 1980 and 2014. Mortality rates for drug use disorders increased both nationally and in each county over the same period.
If approved, esketamine has the potential to be the first treatment for patients with major depressive disorder at imminent risk for suicide.
Children who were described as both highly depressed/anxious and highly irritable were 2 times as likely to report suicidal thinking and attempts compared with children who exhibited neither depression nor irritability.
Investigators sought to identify distinct pathways toward suicidal behaviors in older adults with major depression.
Adolescents have an increased risk of suicide after nonfatal self-harm.
Researchers calculated age-standardized mortality rates on a county level in the United States between 1980 and 2014, specifically examining rates for self-harm, interpersonal violence, alcohol use, and drug use.
Adverse mental health outcome rates are higher in adolescent cancer survivors.
The majority of patients who commit suicide visit a healthcare provider within months of their death, representing an important opportunity to intercede and connect them with mental health resources.
These results indicate the need for thorough preoperative psychiatric history assessment in patients considering bariatric surgery, as well as postoperative surveillance.
Screening for childhood mistreatment can assess the risk for nonsuicidal self-injury.
The use of lithium is underused for treating mood disorders.
Perfectionist tendencies are positively associated with suicide attempts and ideation.
Frequent cannabis use was shown to be associated with an increased risk of major depressive disorder and suicidal ideation.
NRX-100 followed by NRX-101 has been granted Fast Track status by the Food and Drug Administration.
Young adults with diseases such as asthma, are 4 times more likely to attempt suicide.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Classification Models for Diagnosing Schizophrenia With MRI Neuroimaging
- Sodium Valproate May Lower Amygdala Volume in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- Putting Patients in the Physician's Seat: Smartphone Technology Is Changing the Healthcare Landscape
- Unhealthy Food Behaviors May Signal Eating Disorder in Teens
- As Immigration Policies Tighten, Physician Shortage Concerns Grow