Suicide & Self-Harm
Adverse mental health outcome rates are higher in adolescent cancer survivors.
The majority of patients who commit suicide visit a healthcare provider within months of their death, representing an important opportunity to intercede and connect them with mental health resources.
These results indicate the need for thorough preoperative psychiatric history assessment in patients considering bariatric surgery, as well as postoperative surveillance.
Screening for childhood mistreatment can assess the risk for nonsuicidal self-injury.
The use of lithium is underused for treating mood disorders.
Perfectionist tendencies are positively associated with suicide attempts and ideation.
Frequent cannabis use was shown to be associated with an increased risk of major depressive disorder and suicidal ideation.
NRX-100 followed by NRX-101 has been granted Fast Track status by the Food and Drug Administration.
Young adults with diseases such as asthma, are 4 times more likely to attempt suicide.
Ketamine can provide acute benefits for treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation.
Teens suffering from depression are more likely to say they are "stressed" or "anxious" or "down."
A brief screening tool can identify patients at risk for suicide without significantly interrupting the flow of acute care.
Suicide attempts and sleep in adults are associated with Internet addiction.
Borderline personality disorder symptoms, self-harm, and suicide were effectively reduced by psychotherapy treatment.
States with universal background checks experienced a decrease in suicides between 2013 and 2014.
Prevention of repeated suicide attempts was most effective with prompt recontact of patients.
The suicide of a spouse can lead to an increased risk for mental disorders and certain medical conditions.
A new agent would be the first oral treatment for suicidal behavior in patients with bipolar depression.
Adult males who used 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors exhibited an increased risk of self-harm did increase.
Family-based crisis intervention for suicidal teenagers led to higher levels of satisfaction and greater feelings of family empowerment.
The highest suicide rates were among 35- to 64-year-olds, and people 75 and older.
Schizophrenia was associated with 13 to 15 years of potential life lost.
Older men with multiple health comorbidities have the highest suicide risk.
Factors such as shame and stigma impede the dialogue about mental illness across cultures.
Individuals who seek HIV testing could potentially constitute a group at higher risk for suicide than the general population.
Behavioral symptoms strongly linked to suicidal ideation included depression, irritability, aggression, and impulsivity.
Hundreds of active pilots manage depressive symptoms without the possibility of treatment due to fear of negative career impact.
High levels of stress and responsibility lead to greater prevalence of depression and suicidal ideation in medical students.
The prevalence of acute coronary syndrome was significantly higher among those who committed suicide than with healthy individuals.
Self-harm has been the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in Colorado between 2004 and 2012.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders