Substance Use Disorders
New pharmacotherapies in combination with psychotherapy and counseling have proven effective in preventing relapse.
Long-term abstinence after cocaine dependence was shown to be associated with improved sleep quality after an initial worsening period.
Females are also closing the gender gap with regard to health problems associated with alcohol consumption.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Treatment of opioid addiction and preventing overdose deaths
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Opioid-related disorders are an emerging public health concern globally and in the United States.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Researchers assessed social cognition and social problem solving abilities by employing ecologically valid scenario-based tests.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a serious public health threat.
Alterations in reward processing may increase users' risk of continued drug use and subsequent addiction.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Chronic and severe cannabis-dependence is associated with deficits in striatal dopamine release.
Inhibition of D1 dopamine receptors in medium spiny neurons, or excitation of D1 dopamine receptors in medium spiny neurons, of the striatum, attenuated excessive alcohol consumption in mice.
By taking better care of their health, researchers expect that LINKAGE participants will have better outcomes than usual care participants over time.
The ACASI ASSIST has good diagnostic accuracy for detecting unhealthy substance use and substance use disorder for tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine use.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
The findings could have important clinical implications in the treatment of patients with arthritis.
In 2014, opioids were responsible for nearly 19 000 deaths across the United States.
Marijuana use is associated with development of various neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression.
Naloxone is an opioid antagonist that reverses the respiratory depression characteristic of opioid overdose.
Approximately 40% of American college students engage in binge drinking at least once in the past 2 weeks.
The Role of Psychiatrists as Naloxone Advocates
Nonmedical prescription opioid use among adults in the United States has increased by 161% from 2001-2002 to 2012-2013, while prescription opioid use disorder has increased by 125%.
More than 70% of respondents said they gave their spare medications to someone they knew who also struggled with pain.
Comprehensive measurements of drinking behavior during episodes such as binge, abstinence, and relapse are essential to reveal the factors and mechanisms that underlie alcohol abuse and dependence.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed