Generic Name and Formulations:
Asfotase alfa 18mg/0.45mL, 28mg/0.7mL, 40mg/mL, 80mg/0.8mL; soln for SC inj; preservative-free.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for STRENSIQ:
Treatment of perinatal/infantile- and juvenile-onset hypophosphatasia.
See full labeling. Give by SC inj in the abdomen, thigh, or deltoid; rotate inj sites. 6mg/kg per week given as 2mg/kg 3 times weekly or 1mg/kg 6 times weekly. Perinatal/infantile-onset: if ineffective, may increase dose up to 9mg/kg per week given as 3mg/kg 3 times weekly. <40kg: do not use 80mg/0.8mL vial.
Do not administer to areas that are reddened, inflamed, or swollen. Discontinue if severe hypersensitivity reaction occurs; monitor for reoccurrence if decision to re-administer. Perform ophthalmic exams and renal ultrasounds at baseline and periodically during treatment; monitor for ectopic calcifications and changes in vision or renal function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Tissue nonspecific alkaline phosphatase.
May cause erroneous results in lab assays that utilize alkaline phosphatase (ALP)-conjugated test system. Do not rely on serum ALP measurements for clinical decision making due to expected high levels.
Inj site reactions, lipodystrophy, ectopic calcifications, hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vials—1, 12
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad