SPIRIVA HANDIHALER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tiotropium (as bromide monohydrate) 18mcg/cap; dry pwd in caps for oral inhalation; with inhaler device.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for SPIRIVA HANDIHALER:
Long-term maintenance treatment of bronchospasm due to COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. To reduce exacerbations of COPD.
2 inh of one capsule contents (18mcg) once daily, using HandiHaler inhalation device. Max: 2 inh/24hrs. Do not swallow caps.
Allergy to ipratropium.
Not for the relief of acute symptoms. Discontinue if immediate hypersensitivity reactions (eg, angioedema) or paradoxical bronchospasm occurs; consider alternative therapy. Monitor for signs/symptoms of worsening narrow-angle glaucoma or worsening urinary retention (esp. GI or GU obstruction). Moderate-to-severe renal impairment; monitor for anticholinergic effects. Allergy to atropine or its derivatives; monitor. HandiHaler: avoid getting powder into eyes; or allergy to milk proteins. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid other anticholinergics.
Upper respiratory tract infection, dry mouth, sinusitis, pharyngitis, bronchitis, cough, headache, non-specific chest pain, UTI, dyspepsia, rhinitis, other anticholinergic effects (eg, urinary retention, constipation, dysuria, tachycardia, blurred vision, glaucoma); paradoxical bronchospasm.
HandiHaler (caps w. inh device)—5, 30, 90; Respimat (cartridge w. inh device)—4g (60 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users