Generic Name and Formulations:
Minocycline (as HCl) 55mg, 65mg, 80mg, 105mg, 115mg; ext-rel tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for SOLODYN:
Inflammatory lesions of non-nodular moderate to severe acne.
Swallow whole. Give approximately 1mg/kg once daily for 12wks. Weight-based dosing (45–49kg): 45mg; (50–59kg): 55mg; (60–71kg): 65mg; (72–84kg): 80mg; (85–96kg): 90mg; (97–110kg): 105mg; (111–125kg): 115mg; (126–136kg): 135mg. Renal impairment: reduce dose or extend dosing intervals.
<12yrs: not established.
Not bioequivalent with other minocycline products. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function. Discontinue if superinfection, DRESS syndrome, or autoimmune syndromes develop. Monitor for visual disturbances. Renal or hepatic impairment. Avoid sun or UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant penicillins, isotretinoin. Fatal renal toxicity with concomitant methoxyflurane. May need to reduce concomitant anticoagulant dose. Absorption reduced by antacids containing aluminum, calcium, magnesium and iron. May antagonize oral contraceptives. May interfere with fluorescence test.
Headache, fatigue, dizziness, pruritus; teeth discoloration, delayed skeletal development, intracranial hypertension, C.difficile-associated diarrhea, photosensitivity, hyperpigmentation, hepatotoxicity, skin/hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD