Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is highly prevalent and is associated with a significant functional impairment.
After receiving a dose of testosterone, participants with social anxiety disorder were less likely to avoid eye contact.
Undergraduate students with social anxiety who engaged in acts of kindness had the largest drop in the desire to avoid social interactions.
Brain scans found those with social anxiety produced an abundance of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the amygdala.
People who consumed a lot of fermented foods had fewer symptoms of social anxiety in those with high neuroticism.
When kids with autism started playing with guinea pigs, their skin conductance, a measure of anxiety, started to decline.
Attention training teaches patients how to shift their focus away from unhelpful thoughts and feelings.
Internet and gaming addiction is a serious issue for many children and teens and has been linked to ADHD, social anxiety and depression.
Encouraging patients to overcome small challenges little by little can add up to significant progress in the long run.
Patients with atypical depression more likely to have earlier onset of social anxiety disorder than those with standard depression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Psychopathology of Adults Affected by Pre- and Perinatal Factors, Family Functioning
- Anxiety: Feature of Late-Onset Dementia or Modifiable Risk Factor?
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Concise Questionnaire Found Consistent, Reliable at Monitoring OCD
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- HIV Viral Suppression Rates in Psychiatric Inpatients With Comorbid Substance Use Disorders
- Greater Wealth Associated With Lower Risk for Dementia in English Study
- Social Hygiene: Screening for Social Media Addiction in Adolescent Patients
- Effects of Depressive Symptoms on Cognition, Markers of Brain Aging
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look