Generic Name and Formulations:
Basiliximab (recombinant) 10mg, 20mg; per vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution/dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for SIMULECT:
Organ rejection prophylaxis in renal transplant patients, in combination with cyclosporine and corticosteroids.
Adults and Children:
Give by bolus inj or IV infusion over 20–30 minutes. <35kg: initially 10mg within 2 hours prior to transplantation, then 10mg 4 days post-transplantation for a total of 2 doses. ≥35kg: initially 20mg within 2 hours prior to transplantation, then 20mg 4 days post-transplantation for a total of 2 doses. Withhold 2nd dose if severe hypersensitivity reactions or graft loss occurs.
Should be administered under qualified medical supervision. Risk of lymphoproliferative disorders and opportunistic infections; monitor. Previously-treated with basiliximab; monitor for severe hypersensitivity reactions in subsequent treatment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B); use effective contraception before, during and for 4 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant vaccines: immune response may be impaired.
GI upset, constipation, peripheral edema, fever, hyper or hypokalemia, hyperglycemia, dyspnea, hypertension, headache, tremor, insomnia, anemia; infections, antibody formation, severe hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed