Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxepin (as HCl) 3mg, 6mg; tabs.
Indications for SILENOR:
Treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty with sleep maintenance.
Individualize. Take within 30mins of bedtime. Do not take within 3 hours of a meal. Initially 6mg once daily. Max: 6mg/day. Elderly, hepatic impairment, tendency to urinary retention: initially 3mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Untreated narrow angle glaucoma. Severe urinary retention.
Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses (eg, physical or psychiatric disorders) prior to treatment. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Monitor for new onset behavioral changes, worsening of depression, or suicidal thinking. Hepatic impairment. Respiratory dysfunction. Severe sleep apnea: not recommended. Poor metabolizers (those with reduced CYP2D6/2C19 activity). Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with concomitant CNS depressants, antihistamines, or alcohol (avoid); reduce dose. Potentiated by cimetidine. Possible hypoglycemia with tolazamide.
H1 receptor antagonist.
Somnolence, sedation, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, dizziness, photosensitivity, skin rash; abnormal thinking, behavioral changes, complex behaviors, sleep-driving (discontinue if occurs), amnesia, anxiety, other neuro-psychiatric symptoms.
Tabs—30, 100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia