Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine recombinant, adjuvanted; susp for IM inj after reconstitution (contains 50mcg of recombinant glycoprotein E antigen, 50mcg of monophosphoryl lipid A, and 50mcg of QS-21); per 0.5mL; preservative-free.
Indications for SHINGRIX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50yrs of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for preventing primary varicella infection (chickenpox).
<50yrs: not recommended. Give by IM inj in deltoid region of upper arm. ≥50yrs: one 0.5mL dose at Month 0 followed by second dose anytime between 2–6 months later. Administer immediately upon reconstitution or store refrigerated and use within 6hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
Allergies to any previous Shingrix vaccination.
Review immunization history prior to administration. Have appropriate medical treatment and supervision available to manage allergic reactions. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants may reduce efficacy of Shingrix. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Local reactions (eg, pain, redness, swelling), myalgia, fatigue, headache, shivering, fever, GI symptoms.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (antigen + adjuvant components)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling