Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine recombinant, adjuvanted; susp for IM inj after reconstitution (contains 50mcg of recombinant glycoprotein E antigen, 50mcg of monophosphoryl lipid A, and 50mcg of QS-21); per 0.5mL; preservative-free.
Indications for SHINGRIX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50yrs of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for preventing primary varicella infection (chickenpox).
<50yrs: not recommended. Give by IM inj in deltoid region of upper arm. ≥50yrs: one 0.5mL dose at Month 0 followed by second dose anytime between 2–6 months later. Administer immediately upon reconstitution or store refrigerated and use within 6hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
Allergies to any previous Shingrix vaccination.
Review immunization history prior to administration. Have appropriate medical treatment and supervision available to manage allergic reactions. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants may reduce efficacy of Shingrix. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Local reactions (eg, pain, redness, swelling), myalgia, fatigue, headache, shivering, fever, GI symptoms.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (antigen + adjuvant components)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation