"Since the current generation of psychiatrists has been raised on second-generation antipsychotics and has relatively little experience with first-generation antipsychotics, keeping tardive dyskinesia in mind is not, on the whole, part of their experience or training," said Christoph U. Correll, MD.
Genetic risk from rare copy number variants and common single-nucleotide polymorphisms may contribute to liability to schizophrenia.
Lumateperone and follow-on compounds are also being evaluated for bipolar depression, behavioral disturbance associated with dementia, sleep disturbances associated with neuropsychiatric disorders, and other neuropsychiatric conditions including major depressive disorder and autism.
The use of a polygenic risk score for schizophrenia can effectively predict an antipsychotic treatment response after a first episode of psychosis.
Psychotic experiences may be a clinical marker of risk for future suicidal behaviors.
Investigators examined the relationship between sleep disturbances and levels of anti-inflammatory markers in patients with schizophrenia.
Awareness of self and others may provide insight into one's own psychiatric challenges.
New study data show a correlation between motion processing deficiency and cognitive impairment in patients with schizophrenia.
Perseris, an atypical antipsychotic, has an extended-release delivery system that releases sustained levels of risperidone over 1 month.
There is minimal overlap in neurologic variations among individuals with severe psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia spectrum disorders and bipolar disorder.
Investigators sought to determine whether cardioprotective medication after a myocardial infarction could reduce mortality rates in patients with schizophrenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Efficacy, Safety of Long-Term Ketamine Administration Still In Question
- Etiology of Schizophrenia: Strong Association With Certain Rare Copy Number Variants
- KCNQ Channel Potentiator Ezogabine Delivers Promising Results in Major Depressive Disorder
- Vulnerability to Psychosocial Disability in Psychosis
- FDA to Review Lumateperone for Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Cannabis Use, Cannabis Use Disorder Linked to Psychotic, Depressive Symptoms
- Abstinence From Regular Cannabis Use Improves Memory Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- Association Between Opioid and Benzodiazepine Misuse and Suicidal Ideation
- Group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Is Effective Treatment for Adolescent Anxiety
- The Intersection of Eating and Alcohol Disorders: Detecting and Managing "Drunkorexia"