"Since the current generation of psychiatrists has been raised on second-generation antipsychotics and has relatively little experience with first-generation antipsychotics, keeping tardive dyskinesia in mind is not, on the whole, part of their experience or training," said Christoph U. Correll, MD.
In considering patients with schizophrenia for cognitive remediation, comorbid OCD must be taken into account.
These results indicate that impaired visual integration in patients with schizophrenia may more broadly be a feature of psychosis, rather than specifically of schizophrenia.
Researchers hope that in demonstrating the potential efficacy of MIN-101, they may improve the pharmacotherapy options available to patients with schizophrenia.
The superior benefit provided by early intervention services for schizophrenia could be cost-effective, and the researchers call for widespread implementation and funding of early intervention services in the United States and globally.
To date, there has been limited prognostic accuracy of clinical instruments in predicting the onset of psychosis and no reliable biological marker has been identified.
Researchers conducted a systematic literature review to identify cohort studies reporting the standardized incidence ratio for the risk of breast cancer in women with schizophrenia compared with the general population.
These data may be helpful in titrating care for those with schizotypal disorder and comorbid substance abuse disorders to mitigate the risk for conversion to schizophrenia.
Concerns over Nuplazid were initially voiced in a CNN article in early April which reported that the drug had been associated with over 700 deaths since its launch in March 2017.
These findings may be helpful in developing treatment strategies for patients with past trauma and sleep disturbances to attenuate the possibility of future psychosis-like experiences.
The authors advised clinicians to carefully consider which antipsychotics they prescribe their patients with metabolic dysfunction, as some are known to be diabetogenic.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Belief That Abortion Harms Women's Mental Health Appears Misinformed
- Models Derived From Electronic Health Records Effective in Predicting Suicide Risk
- Probiotics Effective in Reducing Rehospitalization for Patients With Mania
- Caffeine Sodium Benzoate Effective as Electroconvulsive Therapy Augmentation
- Personality Disorders Related to Adverse Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- Court-Mandated Substance Abuse Treatment: Exploring the Ethics and Efficacy
- ADHD Treatments
- Esketamine Nasal Spray: A New Treatment Possibility for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry: Promising Developments and Potential Pitfalls
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Preop Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Tied to Bariatric Surgery Outcomes in Teens
- Meds With Depression As Adverse Side Effect Commonly Used
- Predictors of Long-term Medication Adherence in Children With ADHD
- Antipsychotic Treatment Linked to Adiposity Changes in Youth
- Exposure to Maternal Hypertension May Up Risk for ASD, ADHD in Child