"Since the current generation of psychiatrists has been raised on second-generation antipsychotics and has relatively little experience with first-generation antipsychotics, keeping tardive dyskinesia in mind is not, on the whole, part of their experience or training," said Christoph U. Correll, MD.
Interventions focused on emotion recognition may be effective in addressing sociocognitive deficits in patients with schizophrenia.
A team of UK-based investigators assessed functional and symptomatic outcomes in individuals with a first episode of psychotic disorder vs those associated with schizophrenia.
In an attempt to identify the risk associated with the comorbidity of type 2 diabetes and schizophrenia, a team of investigators from Taiwan assessed the impact of public health promotion efforts targeted at this population.
This research supports the monitoring of metabolic syndrome in patients with schizophrenia.
Lumateperone, a first-in-class molecule, works via potent interactions at 5-HT2A receptors, serotonin transporters, and D1 receptors with indirect glutamatergic modulation.
These data suggest that residential mobility may have a profound effect on the mental well-being of children and adolescents.
Timely categorization of patients as treatment-resistant or responsive may allow faster implementation of better targeted interventions.
In conclusion, these preliminary findings suggest that quetiapine is not a teratogen and could be used safely during pregnancy, but further research is needed to completely understand the risks involved.
Future studies should investigate how supplementation with vitamin D may improve symptoms and outcomes.
The study exhibited an overall conversion rate of 35% to a psychotic disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction