Schizophrenia & Psychoses
These data may be useful to clinicians in considering the risks and benefits of prescribing haloperidol for patients with cardiac morbidity.
The authors pointed to a possible difference in the specific symptoms alleviated by different types of stimulation.
The early sustained recovery group was more likely to have a diagnosis other than schizophrenia, particularly mania or brief psychosis.
Although various clinical and psychosocial factors were associated with unhealthy lifestyle factors and higher risk for CVD, the strongest associations were with negative symptoms.
Treatment beyond antipsychotic drugs is needed for people with schizophrenia, as positive symptoms are a peripheral node in the network.
Given the high risk for metabolic disorder and type 2 diabetes, clinicians should select psychotropic medications carefully and monitor metabolic conditions regularly in their patients with serious mental illness.
The meta-analysis showed raloxifene to be effective for positive symptoms, negative symptoms, and general psychopathology, with greatly homogeneous results.
Investigators selected 15 genes associated with schizophrenia due to high expression in both brain tissue and B-lymphocyte cells.
Use of virtual reality environments in which participants interact with computer-controlled situations or avatars enables a more fine-tuned approach to exposure in the context of cognitive behavioral therapy.
tDCS may be an important tool for further improving our understanding of psychosis and designing targeted treatments.
Researchers examined which atypical antipsychotic was more effective and safe in first-episode drug-naive schizophrenia.
A chart outlining the pharmacokinetics of atypical antipsychotics, including information on bioavailability, half-life and CYP 450 metabolism.
A meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials compared the use of benzodiazepines alone or in combination with antipsychotic or antihistamine medications in patients experiencing acute psychotic illness.
Investigators seek the association between psychosis and complication risk after total joint arthroplasty.
P50 processing may inform researchers in the future development of interventions targeting cognitive impairment in schizophrenia.
A chart with daily dose thresholds for antipsychotic medications.
Investigators seek the association between the risk of developing schizophrenia and advanced maternal and paternal age.
Gender differences may predict the types of symptoms and age of onset of schizophrenic psychosis.
Investigators assessed biomarkers for cardiovascular risk and protection in individuals with first-episode psychosis.
Investigators believe social recovery therapy may benefit individuals with complex comorbidities not motivated to participate in psychosocial interventions targeting functioning after first-episode psychosis.
Technique validation suggested a robust generalizability of neuroanatomical imaging in schizophrenia.
The ability to track ingestion of medications prescribed for mental illness may be useful for some patients.
Type 2 diabetes is greater with second-generation antipsychotics than with non-second-generation antipsychotic psychotropic medications for patients aged 6 to 25 years.
The FDA issued a refusal to file letter for a new drug application.
Different clinical and neurobiologic pathways may be involved in treatment-resistant schizophrenia as it is not a homogeneous subgroup within the schizophrenia spectrum.
Researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center have discovered the cellular receptor that causes weight gain from antipsychotic drugs.
Shared decision making encourages a clinical partnership that can result in optimal treatment outcomes.
Interventions targeted at improving medication adherence might mitigate adverse effects of cannabis use on psychosis outcomes.
Long-acting injectables should be considered earlier in the treatment of schizophrenia.
Increases in autonomic function may predict the occurrence and severity of auditory hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia, suggesting a regulation of these experiences by the autonomic nervous system.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Personality Functioning Associated With Global Functioning in Bipolar Disorder I
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Childhood Insulin Resistance Associated With Later Psychosis
- Lamotrigine Similar to Placebo in Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
- Glucocorticoids May Increase Risk of Developing Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder
- Predictors, Incidence of Long-term Use of Benzodiazepines, Z-Drugs in Bipolar Disorder
- Cardiometabolic Dysregulation Associated With Cognitive Decline Mediated by Depression