For patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, younger age was significantly associated with an increased rate of readmission.
Emotional stability assessed in late adolescence is inversely associated with serious mental illness.
The burden of illness associated with bipolar disorder warrants early preemption.
Irritability may have wide-ranging impacts on symptomatic, functional, and social elements of quality of life.
Benefits of NMDA receptor agonists in patients with schizophrenia include improvements with memory and reading.
The Effect of Cognitive Remediation Training on Functional Connectivity and Social Cognition in SchizophreniaOctober 13, 2016
Study provides further evidence for the effects of cognitive enhancement intervention on brain functional connectivity and cognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia.
Researchers studied social cognition and social problem solving in patients with schizophrenia by employing a validated test designed to assess emotion recognition abilities.
New findings provide an insight about the association between white matter microstructure and the severity of schizophrenia clinical symptoms.
The primary outcome in this study was reliability of patient-ratings on subjective well-being.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
Post mortem examination of human brain samples derived from individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia revealed widespread synaptic alterations in CA1 hippocampal subfield.
New findings provide insights about the neuroanatomy and neurophysiology of schizophrenia.
Antipsychotics have been effective in the treatment of psychotic disorders, but clinicians must be cognizant of side effects.
Only 12% of violent incidents committed by high-risk psychiatric patients were preceded by hallucinations and delusions.
Antipsychotic-related weight gain mitigated when drug used to treat alcohol dependency given to women suffering from schizophrenia.
Abnormalities observed in hippocampal subfields tied to memory-related processes
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders