For patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, younger age was significantly associated with an increased rate of readmission.
Emotional stability assessed in late adolescence is inversely associated with serious mental illness.
The burden of illness associated with bipolar disorder warrants early preemption.
Irritability may have wide-ranging impacts on symptomatic, functional, and social elements of quality of life.
Benefits of NMDA receptor agonists in patients with schizophrenia include improvements with memory and reading.
The Effect of Cognitive Remediation Training on Functional Connectivity and Social Cognition in SchizophreniaOctober 13, 2016
Study provides further evidence for the effects of cognitive enhancement intervention on brain functional connectivity and cognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia.
Researchers studied social cognition and social problem solving in patients with schizophrenia by employing a validated test designed to assess emotion recognition abilities.
New findings provide an insight about the association between white matter microstructure and the severity of schizophrenia clinical symptoms.
The primary outcome in this study was reliability of patient-ratings on subjective well-being.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
Post mortem examination of human brain samples derived from individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia revealed widespread synaptic alterations in CA1 hippocampal subfield.
New findings provide insights about the neuroanatomy and neurophysiology of schizophrenia.
Antipsychotics have been effective in the treatment of psychotic disorders, but clinicians must be cognizant of side effects.
Only 12% of violent incidents committed by high-risk psychiatric patients were preceded by hallucinations and delusions.
Antipsychotic-related weight gain mitigated when drug used to treat alcohol dependency given to women suffering from schizophrenia.
Abnormalities observed in hippocampal subfields tied to memory-related processes
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age