Generic Name and Formulations:
Pilocarpine (as HCl) 5mg, 7.5mg; tabs.
Indications for SALAGEN:
Dry mouth (xerostomia) due to radiotherapy for head and neck cancer or Sjogren's syndrome.
Cancer: Initially 5mg three times daily; range 15–30mg daily; max 10mg/dose. Sjogren's syndrome: 5mg four times daily. Moderate hepatic impairment for both: 5mg twice daily.
Uncontrolled asthma. When miosis is undesirable (iritis, narrow-angle glaucoma).
Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Cardiovascular disease. Controlled asthma. Chronic bronchitis. COPD. Cholethiasis. Biliary tract disease. Nephrolithiasis. Cognitive or psychiatric disorders. Activities requiring visual acuity. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardiac conduction disturbances with β-blockers. Potentiates parasympathomimetics. Antagonizes anticholinergics (eg, atropine, ipratropium).
Sweating, nausea, rhinitis, chills, flushing, urinary frequency, dizziness, asthenia, headache, abnormal vision.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice