Generic Name and Formulations:
Drospirenone 3mg, ethinyl estradiol 30micrograms, levomefolate calcium 0.451mg (21 tabs); levomefolate calcium 0.451mg (7 tabs).
Indications for SAFYRAL:
Oral contraception. To raise folate levels in women who choose to use an OC for contraception.
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat. Take at the same time daily. Use Day 1 or Sunday start for 1st cycle; use backup method for first 7 days.
Pre-menarche: not applicable.
Renal impairment. Adrenal insufficiency. High risk of arterial or venous thrombotic disease (eg, smokers or migraineurs over age 35, history of DVT or thromboembolism, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease, thrombogenic valvular disease, atrial fibrillation, subacute bacterial endocarditis, hypercoagulopathies, uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes with vascular disease, headaches with focal neurologic symptoms). Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy. Concomitant ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir.
Cigarette smoking increases risk of serious cardiovascular events.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events (eg, stroke, MI) esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism. Hyperkalemia or risk thereof. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Gallbladder disease. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. History of depression; monitor and discontinue if serious depression recurs. Hereditary angioedema. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Do regular complete physical exams. Monitor BP; discontinue if significant rise occurs. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). Postmenopausal women or nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen + folate.
See Contraindications. ALT elevations with HCV regimen ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir; discontinue Safyral prior to starting HCV regimen and restart 2wks after completion. Monitor serum K+ during 1st cycle with drugs that increase potassium (eg, ACEIs, ARBs, NSAIDs, K+-sparing diuretics, K+ supplements, heparin, aldosterone antagonists); consider monitoring in high-risk patients taking concomitant long-term strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole, indinavir, boceprevir, clarithromycin). May be antagonized by CYP3A4 or other enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John's wort, topiramate) (use backup contraception). May be potentiated by atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, or CYP3A4 inhibitors. May be affected by protease inhibitors, NNRTIs. May antagonize lamotrigine. May affect laboratory tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins). May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones. May mask vitamin B12 deficiency (folate).
Premenstrual syndrome, headache/migraine, breast pain/tenderness, nausea, vomiting, mood changes, abdominal pain/tenderness/discomfort, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, intolerance to contact lenses; chloasma, hypertension, serious thromboembolic events, liver disease.
Packs—3 (blister cards)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases