SABRIL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Vigabatrin 500mg; tabs.
Indications for SABRIL TABLETS:
Adjunctive therapy in patients ≥10yrs of age with refractory complex partial seizures (CPS) who have inadequately responded to several alternative treatments and for whom the potential benefits outweigh the risk of vision loss. Not a first line agent for CPS. Monotherapy for infantile spasms (IS) in patients 1month–2yrs of age, when the potential benefits outweigh the risk of vision loss.
≥17yrs: initially 500mg twice daily; may be increased weekly by 500mg/day to maintenance 1.5g twice daily. CrCl >50–80mL/min: reduce dose by 25%; CrCl >30–50mL/min: reduce dose by 50%; CrCl >10–30mL/min: reduce dose by 75%. Reevaluate periodically. Withdraw gradually (reduce by 1g/day at weekly intervals).
CPS: <10yrs: not established. 10–16yrs: 25–60kg: initially 250mg twice daily; may be increased weekly by 500mg/day to maintenance 1g twice daily. >60kg: use adult dosing. CrCl >50–80mL/min: reduce dose by 25%; CrCl >30–50mL/min: reduce dose by 50%; CrCl >10–30mL/min: reduce dose by 75%. Reevaluate periodically. Withdraw gradually (reduce daily dose by ⅓ per week for 3 weeks). IS: <1month: not recommended. 1month–2yrs: use oral soln. Initially 50mg/kg/day (given in 2 divided doses); may titrate by 25–50mg/kg/day at 3-day intervals up to max 150mg/kg/day (75mg/kg twice daily). Withdraw gradually (reduce by 25–50mg/kg/day every 3–4 days).
Permanent vision loss.
Be fully familiar with drug’s toxicity before use. Monitor vision, including visual acuity and dilated indirect ophthalmoscopy, and visual fields, at baseline (within 4 weeks) and every 3 months, and for 3–6 months after discontinuing; risk of vision loss increases as dose and cumulative exposure increased. Avoid in patients with, or at high risk of other types of irreversible vision loss. Discontinue if no substantial benefit after treating for 3 months (in adults) or 2–4 weeks (in infants); sooner if obvious treatment failure. Increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior; monitor for depression, suicidal ideation, unusual changes in mood/behavior. MRI abnormalities in infants. Renal impairment. Use lowest effective dose for shortest duration. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May antagonize phenytoin. May potentiate clonazepam. Avoid others that can cause visual or ophthalmic dysfunction. Suppresses ALT/AST activity. May cause false (+) amino acid test.
CPS: vision loss (may be severe and permanent), other visual changes (blurring, diplopia, asthenopia), fatigue, somnolence, nystagmus, tremor, memory impairment, weight gain, arthralgia, abnormal coordination, confusion, upper respiratory infection, aggression; headache, dizziness, anemia, peripheral neuropathy, edema. IS: bronchitis, ear infection, acute otitis media.
To register pregnant patients exposed to vigabatrin call (888) 233-2334. To report ADRs: (800) 455-1141.
Tabs—100; Pwd packets—50
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad