Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 250mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution.
Indications for RYANODEX:
Treatment of malignant hyperthermia (MH) in conjunction with appropriate supportive measures. Prevention of malignant hyperthermia in high-risk patients.
Adults and Children:
Treatment: Give by IV push at a minimum of 1mg/kg; if psychologic and metabolic abnormalities continues or reappear, repeat dosing; max cumulative dose: 10mg/kg. Prevention: Start approx. 75 mins prior to surgery. 2.5mg/kg by IV over ≥1 min; may give additional doses if surgery prolonged.
Institute supportive measures (eg, discontinue MH-triggering agents, manage metabolic acidosis, cooling if necessary, diuretic administration). Monitor for skeletal muscle weakness, adequate ventilation, difficulty swallowing and choking. Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Muscle relaxant (skeletal).
Avoid MH-triggering agents. Increased risk of somnolence or dizziness with concomitant sedative agents. Concomitant calcium channel blockers: not recommended. Concomitant other muscle relaxants may potentiate neuromuscular block. Increased CNS effects with concomitant antipsychotics, anxiolytics.
Loss of grip strength, weakness in the legs, drowsiness, flushing, somnolence, dizziness, nausea, thrombophlebitis, tissue necrosis secondary to extravasation, urticaria, inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling); dyspnea, dysphasia.
Single-use vial (20mL)—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation