Generic Name and Formulations:
Live, attenuated human G1P rotavirus vaccine; lyophilized pwd for oral administration after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for ROTARIX:
Prevention of rotavirus gastroenteritis caused by G1 and non-G1 types (G3, G4, and G9) in infants and children.
<6 weeks or >24 weeks of age: not recommended. Each oral dose is 1mL. Give 1st dose beginning at 6 weeks of age, 2nd dose at least 4 weeks later; complete 2-dose series by 24th week of age. May give a replacement dose at same vaccination visit if dosing is incomplete or regurgitated.
Uncorrected congenital GI tract malformation (eg, Meckel's diverticulum) (increased risk of intussusception). History of intussusception. Severe combined immunodeficiency disease.
Acute diarrhea or vomiting (delay immunization). Chronic GI disorders. Immunodeficiency or immunosuppressed close contacts (live virus shedding may allow transmission to others). Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not applicable.
May give with concomitant vaccines (eg, DTaP, Hep B, Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine Combined, Hib conjugate). Immunosuppressants (eg, irradiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Fussiness/irritability, cough/runny nose, fever, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, pneumonia; rare: Kawasaki disease.
Report adverse events to VAERS at (800) 822-7967 and to GlaxoSmithKline at (888) 825-5249.
Vials—10 (w. prefilled diluent in oral applicator)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling