Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitriol 0.25mcg, 0.5mcg; caps.
Indications for ROCALTROL:
Secondary hyperparathyroidism and resultant metabolic bone disease in predialysis patients (CrCl 15–55mL/min). Hypocalcemia and resultant metabolic bone disease in patients on chronic renal dialysis. Hypocalcemia in hypoparathyroidism, pseudohypoparathyroidism.
Predialysis: initially 0.25mcg daily; may increase to 0.5mcg daily. Dialysis: initially 0.25mcg daily; may increase by 0.25mcg daily at 4–8 week intervals; usual maintenance: 0.5–1mcg daily. Hypoparathyroidism: initially 0.25mcg daily in the AM; may increase by 0.25mcg daily at 2–4 week intervals; usual maintenance: 0.5–2mcg daily.
Predialysis: <3yrs: 10–15nanograms/kg per day; ≥3yrs: initially 0.25mcg daily; may increase to 0.5mcg daily. Dialysis: not recommended. Hypoparathyroidism: initially 0.25mcg daily in the AM; may increase by 0.25mcg daily at 2–4 week intervals. Usual maintenance (1–5 yrs): 0.25–0.75mcg daily; (>6 yrs): 0.5–2mcg daily. Pseudohypoparathyroidism: (<6 yrs): insufficient data; see literature.
Hypercalcemia. Concurrent Vit. D therapy. Vit. D toxicity. Nursing mothers.
Maintain adequate daily calcium and fluid intake. Keep serum calcium times phosphate (Ca x P) product below 70. Monitor serum calcium (esp. during dose titration), phosphorus, other lab values (see literature for frequency). Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Hypermagnesemia with magnesium-containing antacids. Decreased absorption with cholestyramine, mineral oil. Arrhythmias with digitalis if hypercalcemia occurs. Antagonized by phenobarbital. Thiazides increase urinary excretion of calcium. Serum levels may be affected by ketoconazole.
Vit. D analog.
Symptoms of hypervitaminosis D, hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, elevated creatinine, erythema multiforme, hyperphosphatemia.
Caps 0.25mcg—30, 100; 0.5mcg—100; Soln—15mL (w. 20 single-use dispensers)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders