REVATIO ORAL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sildenafil 10mg/mL; pwd for oral susp after reconstitution; grape flavor; contains sorbitol.
Indications for REVATIO ORAL SUSPENSION:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) (WHO Group I) to improve exercise ability and delay clinical worsening.
Limitations Of use:
No beneficial effect on exercise capacity in adding sildenafil to bosentan therapy.
5mg or 20mg three times daily; separate dosing by 4–6hrs. Max: 20mg three times daily.
Concomitant organic nitrates, riociguat.
Pulmonary veno-occlusive disease: not recommended. PAH secondary to sickle cell anemia. Underlying conditions that could be affected by vasodilatory effects (eg, concomitant antihypertensive therapy, BP<90/50, fluid depletion, severe left ventricular outflow obstruction, autonomic dysfunction). Risk of non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy; monitor for sudden vision loss. Retinitis pigmentosa. Anatomical penile deformation. Predisposition to priapism. Severe hepatic impairment. Active peptic ulcer. Bleeding disorders. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor (cGMP-specific).
See Contraindications. Hypotension with nitrates. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir): not recommended. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers. Concomitant α-blockers (eg, doxazosin) or amlodipine may cause symptomatic hypotension (monitor BP). Potentiates bleeding risk with Vit. K antagonists. Concomitant Viagra or other PDE5 inhibitors: not recommended.
Epistaxis, headache, dyspepsia, flushing, insomnia, erythema, dyspnea, rhinitis; hypotension, vision or hearing loss, priapism, vaso-occlusive crisis.
Hepatic (CYP3A, CYP2C9).
Fecal (primary), renal.
Tabs (YES); Susp, inj (NO)
Tabs—90; Susp—112mL (w. bottle adapter, oral syringe); Single-use vial (12.5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad