Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate, ibuprofen; 2.5mg/200mg, 5mg/200mg, 10mg/200mg; tabs.
Indications for REPREXAIN:
Short term (generally <10 days) management of acute pain.
Individualize; use lowest effective dose for shortest duration. ≥16yrs: 1 tab every 4–6 hours as needed; max 5 tabs/day.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
NSAIDs may increase risk of cardiovascular thrombotic events, MI, stroke; may be fatal. Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Peptic ulcer. History of upper GI disease/bleed. Impaired renal, hepatic, thyroid, pulmonary, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Asthma. Edema. Hypertension. Heart failure. Coagulation disorders. Monitor BP; hepatic, and renal function (long-term use). Post-op (may suppress cough reflex). Drug abusers. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction occurs. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C; avoid in 3rd trimester). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid aspirin. Additive CNS depression with alcohol, antihistamines, antipsychotics, antianxiety agents, other CNS depressants; reduce dose of either or both drugs if used together. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, MAOIs or tricyclic antidepressants. May increase bleeding with corticosteroids, anticoagulants, smoking, alcohol, long-term NSAID use. Hydrocodone may potentiate skeletal muscle relaxants. May reduce efficacy of, and increase risk of renal failure with, ACEIs, diuretics. Paralytic ileus may occur with anticholinergics. May increase lithium, methotrexate toxicity. Caution with pentazocine, nalbuphine, butorphanol, buprenorphine.
Opioid + NSAID.
Headache, somnolence, dizziness, GI upset/bleed, constipation, edema, rash (discontinue if occurs), anaphylaxis; anemia, respiratory depression, aseptic meningitis (rare); others. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders