RENAGEL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevelamer HCl 400mg, 800mg.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for RENAGEL TABLETS:
Control of serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Swallow whole with meals. Patients not taking a phosphate binder: serum phosphorus >5.5 to <7.5mg/dL: 800mg 3 times daily; 7.5–<9mg/dL: 1.2–1.6g 3 times daily; ≥9mg/dL: 1.6g 3 times daily. Titrate by 1 tab per meal at 2-week intervals to keep serum phosphorus ≤5.5mg/dL. Switching from calcium acetate to sevelamer: see full labeling.
Dysphagia. Swallowing disorders. Severe GI motility disorders. Major GI tract surgery. Monitor serum bicarbonate, chloride. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant with drugs that have a narrow therapeutic index; monitor. Consider separation of administration with cyclosporine, tacrolimus, or levothyroxine. Separate dosing of ciprofloxacin by ≥2hrs before or 6hrs after sevelamer; mycophenolate mofetil by ≥2hrs before sevelamer.
Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation; rare: bowel obstruction, perforation.
Tabs 400mg—360; 800mg—180
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents