RENACIDIN IRRIGATION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Citric acid 6.602g, glucono-delta-lactone 198mg, magnesium carbonate 3.177g; per 100mL; irrigation soln (pH 3.85).
Indications for RENACIDIN IRRIGATION:
Dissolution of renal or bladder calculi composed of apatite or struvite in select patients. Adjunct to dissolve apatite or struvite calculi after surgery or to achieve partial dissolution prior to surgical removal. Prevention of incrustations of indwelling urinary tract catheters.
Renal calculi: Irrigate with sterile saline at 60mL/hr after fourth or fifth post-operative day and increase until pain, elevated pressure or a maximum of 120mL/hr is achieved; then start Renacidin at max rate achieved with saline. Bladder calculi: 30mL through urinary catheter into bladder, clamp for 30–60 minutes, drain bladder; repeat 4–6 times a day. Catheter incrustation: 30mL through catheter, clamp for 10 minutes, drain; repeat 3 times daily.
UTIs (obtain urine culture prior to use). Urinary tract extravasation.
Monitor magnesium, phosphate, serum creatinine, intrapelvic pressure, and for UTI or catheter obstruction; discontinue if these increase or severe urothelial edema on X-ray occur. Impaired renal function. Maintain catheter patency. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant magnesium: not recommended.
Transient flank pain, urthelial ulceration and/or edema, fever, UTI, back pain, dysuria, transient hematuria, nausea, hypermagnesemia, hyperphosphatemia, elevated serum creatinine, candidiasis, bladder irritation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth