Generic Name and Formulations:
Lepirudin 50mg/vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol.
Indications for REFLUDAN:
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and associated thromboembolic disease.
Do not start treatment if baseline aPTT ratio ≥2.5 to avoid initial overdosing. ≤110kg: Initially 0.4mg/kg by slow IV bolus inj over 15–20 seconds, follow by 0.15mg/kg/hour as a continuous IV infusion for 2–10 days or longer if clinically needed. >110kg: max initial bolus dose 44mg; max initial infusion dose 16.5mg/hour. Adjust dose based on aPTT ratio; usual target range (1.5–2.5). Monitor 1st aPTT determination at 4 hours after start of infusion and at least once daily during therapy; more frequently with renal impairment or serious liver injury. Dose adjustments, renal impairment, concomitant thrombolytic therapy: see literature.
Recent puncture or anomaly of vessels or organs. Recent cerebrovascular accident, stroke, intracerebral surgery, or other neuraxail procedures. Severe uncontrolled hypertension. Bacterial endocarditis. Hemorrhagic diathesis. Recent major surgery or major bleeding (eg, intracranial, GI, intraocular, or pulmonary). Active peptic ulcer. Advanced renal impairment. Monitor aPTT ratio and creatinine clearance prior to and during therapy. Hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant thrombolytics (eg, rt-PA, streptokinase), drugs that affect platelets, coumarin derivatives: increase risk of bleeding and potentiate effect of lepirudin on aPTT prolongation.
Direct thrombin inhibitor (recombinant hirudin).
Bleeding, abnormal liver function, anaphylactic reactions (esp with re-exposure; may be fatal), multiorgan failure, antibody formation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed