RECOMBIVAX HB PEDIATRIC/ADOLESCENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis B surface antigen vaccine (recombinant) 5mcg/0.5mL; susp for IM inj; aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for RECOMBIVAX HB PEDIATRIC/ADOLESCENT:
Hepatitis B immunization.
Adults and Children:
Use correct formulation; see literature. Give IM into anterolateral thigh for children; deltoid for adults. May give SC if risk of hemorrhage. Patients 0–19yrs of age (three-dose regimen): give 1st dose of 5mcg at elected date and repeat after 1 month (2nd dose) and 6 months after first dose (3rd dose). Or, for patients 11–15yrs of age, may use alternate two-dose regimen: give 1st dose of 10mcg at elected date and repeat after 4–6 months (2nd dose). Patients ≥20yrs of age: give 1st dose of 10mcg at elected date and repeat after 1 month (2nd dose) and 6 months after first dose (3rd dose). Dialysis and pre-dialysis patients: give 1st dose of 40mcg at elected date and repeat after 1 month (2nd dose) and 6 months after first dose (3rd dose); consider booster dose if antibody levels fall to <10mIU/mL. High-risk infants (mother is HBsAg positive or unknown) or if exposed to HBsAg: give hepatitis B immune globulin also (see literature).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Serious active infection. Severely compromised cardiopulmonary status. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Local reactions, irritability, fatigue, headache, fever, malaise, nausea, diarrhea, anorexia, pharyngitis, upper respiratory infection, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vials: Ped/Adolescent 5mcg/0.5mL (yellow cap)—1, 10; Adult 10mcg/1mL (green cap)—1, 10; Dialysis 40mcg/1mL (blue cap)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad