Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1a 8.8mcg/0.2mL, 22mcg/0.5mL, 44mcg/0.5mL; soln for SC inj; contains albumin (human); preservative-free.
EMD Serono, Inc.
Indications for REBIF:
Relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), to decrease the frequency of clinical exacerbations and delay accumulation of physical disability.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. Give by SC inj at least 48hrs apart, preferably in the PM. Rotate inj site. Initially 4.4mcg 3 times per week for 2 weeks, titrate to target 22mcg 3 times per week by Week 5; or, initially 8.8mcg 3 times per week for 2 weeks, titrate to target 44mcg 3 times per week by Week 5. See full labeling. May need dose reduction if SGPT >5xULN or leukopenia occurs.
Depression; consider discontinuing if occurs. Suicidal ideation. Discontinue immediately if jaundice or other signs of liver dysfunction occur. Active or history of liver disease. Increased serum SGPT >2.5xULN. Alcohol abuse. Seizure disorders. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. History of thyroid dysfunction; do thyroid tests every 6 months. Monitor blood counts and liver function at 1, 3, and 6 months after initiation, then periodically thereafter. If myelosuppression, monitor CBCs with differential and platelets more intensively. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Inj site reaction/necrosis, flu-like symptoms, abdominal pain, depression, elevated liver enzymes, hematologic abnormalities; rare: hepatic failure, anaphylaxis (discontinue if occurs).
Prefilled syringe (22mcg, 44mcg)—1, 12; Rebidose autoinjector (22mcg, 44mcg)—12; Titration Pack: Prefilled syringes or Rebidose autoinjectors (6x8.8mcg + 6x22mcg)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis