RAZADYNE ORAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Galantamine (as HBr) 4mg/mL.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RAZADYNE ORAL SOLUTION:
Mild to moderate Alzheimer's dementia.
Give with AM & PM meals. Initially 4mg twice daily; if well-tolerated, increase to maintenance dose 8mg twice daily (16mg/day) after minimum of 4 weeks; may attempt further increase to 12mg twice daily (24mg/day) after minimum of 4 weeks. Re-titrate if interrupted for >3 days. Moderate hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl 9–59mL/min): usual max 16mg/day.
Discontinue at the first sign of skin rash, unless not drug-related; consider alternative therapy if serious skin reactions occur. Conduction disorders (eg, bradycardia, AV block). History of ulcer disease. Bladder outflow obstruction. Asthma. COPD. Seizures. Monitor for active or occult GI bleed, respiratory or neurological effects, and patient's weight. Maintain adequate hydration. Severe hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl <9mL/min): not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (benzazepine deriv).
Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, succinylcholine), cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanechol). Antagonizes anticholinergics. Caution with drugs that slow heart rate. May be potentiated by ketoconazole, cimetidine, paroxetine, fluoxetine, erythromycin, possibly others that affect CYP2D6 or CYP3A4. Monitor for GI bleed with NSAIDs.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, decreased appetite, anorexia, weight loss, syncope, bradycardia, heart block, seizures; serious skin reactions (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
This product was formerly named Reminyl.
Tabs—60; Soln—100mL (w. cal. pipette); ER caps—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad