Generic Name and Formulations:
Silodosin 4mg, 8mg; caps.
Indications for RAPAFLO:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Take with food once daily. Normal renal function: 8mg. Renal impairment (CrCl 30–50mL/min): 4mg. Difficulty swallowing pills/caps: may open caps and sprinkle contents on a tablespoonful of applesauce; swallow immediately (within 5mins) without chewing and follow with an 8oz glass of water.
Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min). Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh score ≥10). Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, ritonavir).
Not for treating hypertension. Exclude prostate cancer. Anticipated cataract surgery (may cause intraoperative floppy iris syndrome; advise ophthalmologist). Pregnancy (Cat.B), nursing mothers: not applicable (not indicated for use in women).
See Contraindications. Concomitant other α-blockers, other strong P-glycoprotein inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine): not recommended. May be potentiated by moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, diltiazem, verapamil). Caution with other antihypertensives or PDE-5 inhibitors.
Retrograde ejaculation, dizziness, diarrhea, orthostatic hypotension, headache, nasopharyngitis, nasal congestion.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders