Generic Name and Formulations:
Ranolazine 500mg, 1000mg; ext-rel tabs.
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Indications for RANEXA:
Chronic angina; may be used with beta-blockers, nitrates, calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, anti-platelet and lipid-lowering therapies.
Swallow whole. Initially 500mg twice daily, may increase to max 1g twice daily. Concomitant moderate CYP3A inhibitors (eg, diltiazem, verapamil, erythromycin, fluconazole, grapefruit-containing products): max 500mg twice daily. Concomitant P-gp inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine): titrate ranolazine dose based on response. Concomitant simvastatin: limit simvastatin to 20mg once daily. Concomitant metformin: give max metformin 1.7g/day if taking ranolazine 1g twice daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Concomitant strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir) or CYP3A inducers (eg, rifampin, rifabutin, rifapentine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, St. John's wort).
Not for acute angina episodes or for treating diabetes. History of or congenital long QT syndrome. Monitor renal function after initiation and periodically in moderate-to-severe renal impairment. Discontinue if acute renal failure develops. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiates metformin; monitor glucose levels. May potentiate drugs metabolized by CYP3A (eg, simvastatin, lovastatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, sirolimus), P-gp transporters (eg, digoxin), CYP2D6 (eg, antipsychotics, tricyclic antidepressants); adjust doses of these drugs. May be potentiated by P-gp inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine). Caution with drugs that cause QT prolongation (eg, Class IA, Class III antiarrhythmics, thioridazine, ziprasidone).
Dizziness, headache, constipation, nausea; QT prolongation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders