PULMICORT RESPULES Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 0.25mg/2mL, 0.5mg/2mL, 1mg/2mL; susp for inhalation.
Indications for PULMICORT RESPULES:
Maintenance treatment of asthma and as prophylactic therapy.
Use jet nebulizer; do not mix with other drugs. <6months: not recommended. 6–12months: see literature. 12months–8yrs: Previously on bronchodilators alone: 0.5mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses (if symptomatic and unresponsive to nonsteroidal therapy, may start at 0.25mg once daily). Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: 0.5mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses; max 1mg/day. Previously on oral corticosteroids: 1mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses. Rinse mouth and face (if face mask used) after use.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider antiinfective prophylactic therapy. Adrenal insufficiency may occur when transferring patients from systemic corticosteroids to inhaled corticosteroids: see literature. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Post-op or during stress: monitor adrenal response. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see literature. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Pulmicort Flexhaler: nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis, viral upper respiratory tract infection, oral candidiasis, viral gastroenteritis, nausea, bronchospasm (rare). Pulmicort Respules: Respiratory or other infection, GI upset, moniliasis, fatigue, cough, dysphonia, rash, epistaxis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs).
Respules (YES); Flexhaler (NO)
Flexhaler (90mcg/dose)—1 (60 inh); Flexhaler (180mcg/dose)—1 (120 inh); Respules—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents