PULMICORT FLEXHALER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 90mcg/inh, 180mcg/inh; dry pwd for inhalation.
Indications for PULMICORT FLEXHALER:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy. Asthma requiring systemic corticosteroid therapy, to reduce need for systemic corticosteroids.
≥18yrs: Initially 360mcg twice daily; may consider starting at 180mcg twice daily, if appropriate. Max 720mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use.
<6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: Initially 180mcg twice daily; may consider starting at 360mcg twice daily, if appropriate. Max 360mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider antiinfective prophylactic therapy. Adrenal insufficiency may occur when transferring patients from systemic corticosteroids to inhaled corticosteroids: see literature. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Post-op or during stress: monitor adrenal response. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see literature. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Pulmicort Flexhaler: nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis, viral upper respiratory tract infection, oral candidiasis, viral gastroenteritis, nausea, bronchospasm (rare). Pulmicort Respules: Respiratory or other infection, GI upset, moniliasis, fatigue, cough, dysphonia, rash, epistaxis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs).
Respules (YES); Flexhaler (NO)
Flexhaler (90mcg/dose)—1 (60 inh); Flexhaler (180mcg/dose)—1 (120 inh); Respules—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed