Acting in the capacity of a surrogate decision maker can lead to emotional distress and poor health-related quality of life.
This initial evidence points toward sex differences among adolescents experiencing PTSD symptoms, both in network connectivity and symptom centrality.
Exposure Therapy Administered by Nonspecialty Healthcare Workers Effective in Treating Adolescent PTSD
Participants in the prolonged exposure therapy arm experienced greater improvements in PTSD symptom severity from baseline to post-treatment than those receiving supportive counseling.
World Trade Center-related PTSD is a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke among workers involved in cleaning up the debris.
Based on their findings, researchers noted the importance of follow-up assessment of suicide risk, even among soldiers with low PTSD symptoms at homecoming.
These data suggest that psychotherapy is underutilized as treatment in youths with PTSD, and that much of this population does not receive any form of care.
Results from this study show that virtual reality exposure therapy improved posttraumatic stress disorders symptoms, had no adverse events, and maintained improvements for 6 months post treatment.
The results demonstrated that the proposed revision was less likely to identify patients with mild to moderate post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms who might still require treatment.
Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms may be associated with higher levels of acute pain and pain interference in low-income inner city women.
As a result of 6 phase 2 trials, the FDA has designated MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD as breakthrough therapy.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction