PROVENTIL HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Albuterol 90mcg/inh; metered-dose aerosol; contains hydrofluoroalkane; CFC-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PROVENTIL HFA:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: Use other forms. ≥4yrs: 2 inh every 4–6hrs as needed; 1 inh every 4hrs may suffice. Exercise-induced bronchospasm: 2 inh 15–30 minutes before exercise.
Avoid excessive use. Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Diabetes. Ketoacidosis. Hyperthyroidism. Seizure disorders. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Oral sympathomimetics: not recommended. Antagonized by β-blockers. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics).
Tremor, nervousness, headache, dizziness, excitement, insomnia, weakness, tachycardia, epistaxis, hypokalemia, local irritation, paradoxical bronchospasm; immediate hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, urticaria, angioedema); rare; metabolic acidosis.
Inhalation aerosol—6.7g (200 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling