Protriptyline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Protriptyline HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Protriptyline HCl:
15–40mg daily in 3–4 divided doses. Increase AM dose if needed; max 60mg daily. Elderly, adolescents: initially 5mg 3 times daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant cisapride. Acute post-MI.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening or unusual changes. History of seizures. Urinary retention. Increased intraocular tension. Angle-closure glaucoma. Cardiovascular disorders. Bipolar disorder. Mania. Psychosis. ECT. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Liver disorders. Discontinue prior to surgery. Poor metabolizers (CYP2D6). Avoid abrupt cessation. Avoid sun, UV light. Elderly (monitor cardiovascular effects over 20mg/day). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hyperpyretic crisis, convulsions, death with MAOIs. Avoid during or within 5 weeks of fluoxetine. Potentiates alcohol, CNS depressants. Blocks guanethidine. Paralytic ileus, hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics, neuroleptics. Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, phenothiazines, SSRIs, propafenone, flecainide); monitor with cimetidine. Adjust sympathomimetic, anticholinergic doses. Increased seizure risk with tramadol.
CNS, anticholinergic, or cardiovascular effects (eg, drowsiness, confusion, anxiety, tachycardia, hypotension), extrapyramidal symptoms, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache, changes in blood sugar, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, sexual dysfunction, gynecomastia, liver dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand name Vivactil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders