Generic Name and Formulations:
Tacrolimus 0.03%, 0.1%; oint.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for PROTOPIC:
Second-line therapy: for short-term and non-continuous chronic treatment of moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis in non-immunocompromised patients when other topical therapies are inadvisable or ineffective.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–15yrs: use 0.03% strength. ≥16yrs: use either strength. Apply to affected areas twice daily. Do not occlude or apply to wet skin.
Avoid continuous long-term use in any age group. Clear infection at treatment site first if present. Netherton's syndrome, generalized erythroderma, malignant or pre-malignant skin conditions: not recommended. Immunocompromised. Varicella zoster. Herpes simplex. Eczema herpeticum. Consider discontinuing if lymphadenopathy of unknown etiology or acute infectious mononucleosis develops. Avoid sun, UV light. Reevaluate if no improvement after 6 weeks. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors in widespread and/or erythrodermic disease.
Local reactions (eg, burning, pruritus, rash, folliculitis, acne, tingling, hyperesthesia, cysts), headache, flu symptoms, sinusitis, alcohol intolerance, back pain, varicella or herpes zoster, dyspepsia, myalgia; rare: malignancy (eg, skin, lymphoma).
Oint—30g, 60g, 100g
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders