PROSTIN E2 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dinoprostone 20mg; per vaginal suppository.
Indications for PROSTIN E2:
For the termination of pregnancy from the 12th through the 20th gestational weeks. For the evacuation of the uterine contents in the management of missed abortion or intrauterine fetal death up to 28 weeks of gestational age. Management of nonmetastatic gestational trophoblastic disease (benign hydatidiform mole).
Insert one supp high into vagina. Remain in supine position for 10mins following insertion. May insert subsequent supp at 3–5hr intervals until abortion occurs. Continuous administration for more than 2 days is not recommended.
Acute pelvic inflammatory disease. Active cardiac, pulmonary, renal or hepatic disease.
Only use with strict adherence to recommended dosages. Should only be used by medically trained personnel in a hospital setting.
Not indicated if fetus in utero has reached the stage of viability. Not for use in cervical ripening or other indication in patients with term pregnancy. Asthma. Hypo-or hypertension. Anemia. Jaundice. Diabetes. Epilepsy. History of cardiac, renal, or hepatic disease. Cervicitis. Infected endocervical lesions. Acute vaginitis. Compromised (scarred) uteri. Remove supp if hypersensitivity reaction is suspected. Pregnancy.
Concomitant other oxytocic agents: not recommended.
Vomiting, transient pyrexia (see full labeling re: PGEs induced pyrexia vs. endometritis pyrexia), diarrhea, nausea, headache, chills, transient decrease in BP; MI in patients with history of CVD, hypersensitivity.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth