Generic Name and Formulations:
Propylthiouracil 50mg; scored tabs; contains docusate sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propylthiouracil:
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. Initially 300mg/day. Severe conditions: initially 400mg/day; max 900mg/day. Maintenance: 100–150mg/day.
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: initially 50mg/day; may upward titrate based on response, TSH, and free T4 levels.
Should be reserved for those intolerant to methimazole and in whom radioactive iodine therapy or surgery are not appropriate treatments. Risk of severe liver injury and acute liver failure. Monitor for signs of hepatic dysfunction esp. in the 1st 6 months of therapy; discontinue if occur and obtain LFTs and ALT/AST levels. Discontinue if agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, ANCA-positive vasculitis, hepatitis, interstitial pneumonitis, fever, or exfoliative dermatitis is suspected. Monitor thyroid function periodically, prothrombin time esp. before surgical procedures. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants. Caution with other drugs that may cause agranulocytosis. May need to reduce doses of beta-blockers, digitalis glycosides, theophylline at euthyroid state.
Rash, urticaria, GI upset, arthralgia, paresthesia, taste loss/perversion, hair loss, myalgia, headache, drowsiness, edema, vertigo, jaundice, blood dycrasias, lupus-like syndrome, drug fever, hepatitis, hypoprothrombinemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Heavy Cigarette Smoking in Adolescence May Increase Risk for Psychosis
- CYP2C19 Genotyping Aids Risk Stratification, Individualized Therapy for Depression
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders