Generic Name and Formulations:
Dipivefrin HCl 0.1%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for PROPINE:
Initial therapy for the control of intraocular pressure in chronic open-angle glaucoma.
1 drop every 12 hrs. Transferring from antiglaucoma agents other than epinephrine: on the first day continue previous medication and add 1 drop of Propine in each eye every 12 hours; on the following day, discontinue previous antiglaucoma agent. Transferring from conventional epinephrine therapy: discontinue epinephrine medication and institute Propine regimen. If additional therapy is required, add 1 drop of Propine every 12 hours to other antiglaucoma agents. Concomitant therapy: may add Propine to pilocarpine, carbachol, echothiophate iodide or acetazolamide for difficult to control patients.
Aphakic patients are at increased risk of developing maculopathy; monitor visual acuity closely. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Local effects (eg, injection, burning, stinging, follicular conjunctivitis, pain, mydriasis, blurry vision, pruritus, adrenochrome deposits in the conjunctiva and cornea), headache, allergic reaction, cardiovascular effects (eg, tachycardia, arrhythmias, hypertension).
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad