Proparacaine HCl Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Proparacaine HCl 0.5%; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Proparacaine HCl Ophthalmic Solution:
For procedures in which a topical ophthalmic anesthetic is indicated: corneal anesthesia of short duration (eg, tonometry, gonioscopy, removal of corneal foreign bodies), and for short corneal and conjunctival procedures.
Adults and Children:
Removal of foreign bodies and sutures, and for tonometry: 1–2 drops in each eye before operating. Short corneal and conjunctival procedures: 1 drop in each eye every 5–10 minutes for 5–7 doses.
Not for injection into eye. Permanent corneal opacification with accompanying visual loss with prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Rapidly-acting topical anesthetic.
Local effects (eg, stinging, burning, conjunctival redness); rare: severe, immediate-type hyperallergic corneal reaction.
Formerly known under the brand name Ophthetic.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad