Promethazine HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 12.5mg+, 25mg+, 50mg; tabs; +scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine HCl Tablets:
Motion sickness. Perioperative nausea & vomiting.
Motion sickness: 25mg 30–60mins before travel; may repeat in 8–12hrs; maintenance 25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg at 4–6hr intervals.
<2yrs: see Contraindications. Motion sickness: ≥2yrs: 12.5–25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 0.5mg/lb or 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg or 0.5mg/lb at 4–6hr intervals.
Children <2yrs. Dehydrated or ill children (esp. Reye's syndrome). History of sleep apnea. Asthma and lower respiratory disorders. Uncomplicated nausea in children.
Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Cardiovascular or liver disease. Seizure disorders. Peptic ulcer. Bone marrow depression. Elderly. Children ≥2yrs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with MAOIs. May alter hCG pregnancy test results.
Drowsiness, lowered seizure threshold, cholestatic jaundice, anticholinergic and extrapyramidal effects, photosensitivity, hypo- or hypertension, rash, blood dyscrasias, nausea, neonatal platelet abnormalities; children: respiratory depression (may be fatal).
Formerly known under the brand names Phenergan (tabs, supps); Promethacon (supps).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth